* Good Afternoon CAA Family: Due to the poor air quality, attendance in CAA classes today and tomorrow is optional and will not be counted against any student who wants to stay at home. We will be holding classes, and we do have air purifiers at the site. We will still have our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night as well.
* This Saturday afternoon, November 17, the Latizmo Dancers will be performing at the San Jose Museum of Art. Here is the note from our wonderful community partners at the Art Musuem:We created a comp code in our system that can be used by those who will be attending your program at SJMA on Nov 17. The reserved ticket is good for admission to the museum as well as your program so that should make it very easy when they arrive on Saturday. And they are welcome to visit the galleries before the program, if they want. But it would be very helpful if you encouraged everyone to reserve a free ticket in advance to avoid lines at the door and any hassle. The ticket link is https://52102.
* This Sunday, November 18: The Children’s Music Sing Along Troupe have been invited to perform for the children at Sunday Friends at Lowell Elementary, 625 S. 7th St., San Jose 95112. We would like to invite all CAA students who have ever been a part of Children’s Music to come and be a part of the afternoon. Sunday Friends is an outstanding organization helping wonderful San Jose families break the cycle of poverty through education and community.
* Here is CAA’s Public Service Announcement on CreaTV thanks to the tremendous sponsor of long-standing CAA supporter and Community Leader Heritage Business Bank.
* This Friday, November 16 CAA Mountain Movers Family Potluck Thanksgiving Feast, 7:15 – 9pm: Healthy Dessert Contest! This year CAA will be providing all the meat/turkey for the feast for CAA students, parents, and guardians. We are asking families to provide the sides, drinks, and desserts. Please RSVP to deanna@collegeofadaptivearts.
* New CAA Rotary Club of San Jose Digital Media Lab Officially Open to the Public: Hours: Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays: 3-7pm: The paint is dry. The carpets are clean. Now all we need is you! Come visit CAA’s new computer media lab! All are welcome! Prizes will be awarded to attendees who come to trainings of ViseoDesk, Scannex Scanner & Digital Media equipment! Read a book, Get IT Support, Use a computer, Preserve a memory, Relax, Read the fine print, Come discover what else you can do! Check in with CAA Lab Techs Chris Blackstone and James Fu to get setup or to answer any questions.
* Professor Sharon Lea will be conducting short cap and gown appointments for the 2018 Graduates on Wednesday, November 14th-Friday, November 16th and on Monday, November 26th-Wednesday November 28th. Katie at katie@collegeofadaptivearts.
* Here are the Updated Steps to Registration. Latest Update: if using Regional Center funding, the CAA Bursar needs to receive receipt of contact to begin POS processing with the Service Coordinator within 1 week of registration or students move to the Wait List for all classes. Students may not begin the new quarter if on the Wait List. All that is needed is confirmation via email the contact has been initiated to process the quarterly POS.
* Please enjoy and share widely CAA’s Latest Powerpoint on what makes this equitable collegiate model so unique and important for the lives of adults with special needs.
* College of Adaptive Arts on ABC7 Bay Area LIFE: CAA has secured an underwriter to have a full 30-minute segment dedicated to College of Adaptive Arts which will show in early 2019. Additionally, ABC7 has agreed to show the original College of Adaptive Arts Bay Area LIFE segment on Sunday 11/18 at 6:30p, then repeating on Saturday 11/24 at 6:30pm. CAA would love it if your student could send a thank you card to the ABC7 Leadership Team for their steadfast support: c/o Darla Carter, Disney ABC Television, 900 Front Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
* Exciting news! Community Civic Leader Susan Ellenberg has agreed to be the keynote speaker this year at CAA’s Graduation and Holiday Concert Choir Ceremony on Saturday, December 15 from 2-4pm at the Historic Hoover Theatre on Park Ave.
* CAA has recently hired a part-time Bursar, Laura Shields, to help with CAA tuition payments and working with San Andreas for tuition follow-up. Please welcome Laura if you seen her and if you see her cc’d in an email on payment, she is our newest CAA Superstaff member. Here is Laura’s Biography: Laura is new to CAA but loves how it serves our underserved community of AMAZING people and is proud to be a part of such a giving team of professionals dedicated to bringing continuing education and never ending joy to their students through arts, education, mentoring, and confidence building. Laura is a wife to an amazing husband, mother of 4 terrific kids and a grandmother to 1 precious darling. Children have always been a big part of her life. She enjoys Cooking, Baking, Party Planning and Genealogy.
* Winter Quarter will begin Monday, January 7, 2019. Please plan to schedule a Weekly Tour of the College each Friday school is in session to learn more about this lifelong, equitable collegiate model for special needs adults.
#TransformingPerception this Week in the Community:
* New CAA Student Safety Survey – We Need Your Feedback: CAA has a new intern from San Jose State, and he has developed a Safety Survey. We would very much appreciate your input and feedback as we strive to provide the most optimal, safe, and engaging learning environment for adults with special needs. Please complete and return the survey by the Thanksgiving Holiday Break.
* Donated Item always appreciated: Paper Towels, Tissues, Dixie Cups, Plastic Utensils, Paper Plates, Coffee, Granola Bars, Clorox Wipes, Baby Wipes, Low Odor Dry Erase Markers, Paper Folders. 🙂
* CAA is on Amazon Smiles. If you are going to order anything through Amazon, College of Adaptive Arts would be deeply obliged if you could consider remembering this equitable collegiate model. Here is the smile link: https://smile.amazon.com – College of Adaptive Arts is listed as a 501c3 charity.
* Here are the CAA Instructional Quarter Dates for the rest of 2018 & for 2019 for your reference.
Looking Ahead on the CAA Calendar (Complete list on the Community Calendar of the CAA Website Homepage:
CAA's Weekly Updates
College of Adaptive Arts
Attendance Optional Today and Tomorrow
Nov 12 – 17: Week 6/9, Fall Quarter 2018
We are Different. We are Able.
Latest & Greatest
#CollegeofAdaptiveArts Mission Moment:
This Week at CAA
- Friday, November 16: CAA Family Thanksgiving Potluck Dinner, 7:15 – 9 pm; CAA is providing the main dish; Healthy Dessert Contest; RSVP to deanna@collegeofadaptivearts.
org by Wednesday, Nov. 14
- Saturday, Nov 17: CAA Walking Team, 8:30 – 9:30, email firstname.lastname@example.org for details on the location 🙂
- Saturday, November 17: All Latizmo Dancers to Perform at the San Jose Museum of Art, 4-5pm, 3:45 check-in – email:katie@collegeofadaptivearts.
org to RSVP