November 21 – 25: Thanksgiving Break
We Are Different. We Are Able.
We Are CAA – We are Learning, Performing, Creating, Contributing
1. On Behalf of the Entire College of Adaptive Arts Mountain Movers Leadership Team, we extend to the CAA Student Body, Parents/CareProviders and Community-at-Large the warmest wishes for a safe and peaceful Thanksgiving Holiday. We thank you from for believing in this new model in equitable and lifelong adult education creating successful contributing citizens.
2. No CAA Classes Happening Thanksgiving Week: Many community opportunities available to transform perception: See Comprehensive Calendar to Date.
3. San Jose Mercury News Wishbook Story is now live on the College of Adaptive Arts: http://wishbook.mercurynews.com/2016/arts. Please consider sending a heartfelt thank you letter to Karen D’Souza and Dan Honda for exquistely capturing the essence of our small and growing college: San Jose Mercury News, 4 N. 2nd St. #800, San Jose, CA 95113.
4. College of Adaptive Arts New Video is Now Live: A true and sincere thanks to Mountain Mover board member Shar Yorgey for spearheading this new video. <3
5. Christmas in the Park Tree Decorating Date: Wednesday, November 23, 10:30 – 11:30am, downtown San Jose.
6. New Distance Learning Option: If you are a current or former student, and would like to try out a distance learning class, Skyping into class from the convenience of your home, please email DeAnna Pursai at firstname.lastname@example.org for this coming Winter session beginning January 9, 2017. This opportunity for distance learning is possible thanks to a wonderful grant from the Adobe Foundation.
7. Autism Society of San Francisco Bay Area is hosting a Dance-a-Thon next Saturday, April 15, and CAA School of Dance has been named one of its beneficiaries – A sincere a true thanks to the awesome community partners doing such inspiring work in the community!!: http://www.sfautismsociety.org/dance-a-thon.html
8. Winter Ball Formal hosted by the YMCA on Saturday, December 17: Here’s the Flyer for Circulation/Invitations:)
Date: Saturday, December 17 Time: 4:00-7:00pm
Location: Central YMCA, Small Gym
What to wear: Formal dresses or suits
What to expect: A fun night of dancing with a DJ, photo booth, and light snacks
Additional information: All who attend event will need to sign an event waiver at the door
Contact: LeAnn Carrillo (408) 351-6360 LeAnn.Carrillo@ymcasv.org
More information and a flyer coming soon.
9. Check Calendar to Date for All of Graduate Heroes Troupe Dance Performances slated in the community – our School of Dance is making Successful Contributing Citizens each and every day – a special and sincere thanks to School of Dance Director, Janet Heathcote.
10. CAA van transportation may be available based on driver’s availability and if the student lives within the city limits of San Jose. $10 one-way; $20 round trip. Text or email DeAnna Pursai to make arrangements – email@example.com or cell phone: 408-394-6816 – texting preferred.
11. Congratulations to All 2016 College of Adaptive Arts Graduates!!
Undergraduate: Oliver Motiee, Ryan Brown Olson, Rachel Henderson, Kelsey Alley
Graduate Studies: Nathalie Montes De Oca. Jeana Marie Pizzo Maggio, Said Padellan, Tim Anderson, Alyssa Sanchez
Post Graduate Studies and Validictorian:
For the graduates Katie will be contacting all graduates to schedule a cap and gown appointment time slot for Thursday, November 3rd from 3:00 pm-5:00 pm with Amy. The choir will be fitted for their choir gown during class this Wednesday and Thursday during class. If the graduates and choir members can’t make it at that time Katie will be happy to schedule an alternate appointment date.
12. The Honorable San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo will be the Keynote Speaker at the College of Adaptive Arts Graduation Ceremony/Holiday Concert Choir, Saturday, December 10, 2-5pm, Hammer Theatre in downtown San Jose. Please send a thank you note to our wonderful mayor thanking him for his steadfast support in believing in this new model of education for adults with special needs.
13. New Updates from School of Communications Director, Danie Weaver:
–NEW DATE: January 21 Team Building event at History Park from 11-2. Students must be accompanied by a caregiver. All Students council members past and present are invited to join us. More Details to follow.
–Communication Students: We are hosting a Showcase event on February 11, Any Student who is currently taking a communication class this quarter. The communication classes are: Reading Partner, Poetry, Spanish and Cultural Studies, Reading and Writing Lab, Sign Language, Speaking With Confidence, Student Council Leadership. Any current students who would like to share something please Danie Weaver know, so she can work with them. All showcase piece just needs to be approved by Danie. There will also be class demonstrations as well.
14. In Case of an Emergency: CAA will be trying out our new safety communication portal called One Call Now, whereby you will receive a text/email/phone call in case of an emergency. During the first week of class, please make sure that your emergency contact information is up-to-date with the front desk. In case of an emergency where the cell phone coverage may be down, here are 3 contacts to reach out to:
– Bev Prosser (Danie’s mother): 408-323-4951 – In southern CA
– CiCi Carlson (Pam’s mother): 408-892-2538 – In Arizona
– Jill Ellenberger (De’s mother): 260-824-3409 land line; 260-273-2480 – cell; In Indiana, CAA site.
15. A long-standing Community Partner of CAA, Dr. Yvette Tazeau, owner of Tikal Bay Tek, is leading Workplace Social Skills Training Sessions – for both individual and group sessions. Please see Workplace Social Skills Training Flyer for more information..
16. Parent/Care Provider Policies: Each calendar year & when any updates occur, CAA needs to have a signed copy of the Parent/Care Provider policies on file. If you signed a copy for the Spring Quarter, you need not re-sign. All new families and outstanding spring quarter families need to have a signed copy returned by Friday, July 15. If you would like a digital copy sent to you, we can capture a live signature through the online portal of DocuSign. Please email DeAnna at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like the policy sent
18. Seeking Community Venues to Perform: We are also seeking new community venues to take our multiple theatre troupes out to perform and contribute their artistic creations to the community. We are seeking public schools, private schools, corporate lunch & learn meetings, day programs,and senior living centers. Please email DeAnna at email@example.com for any leads you have. Our students are most “in their element” when they are connecting in the community and contributing their love of the arts, health, and wellness.
19. Updated Donation items – Always Sincerely Appreciated; Printer paper, pens dry erase markers, batteries all sizes, lined paper, pencils, tissues, paper pltes, cleaning wipes, plastic utensils.
20. Blog Submissions Requested: If you as a parent/careprovider are interested in submitting a blog piece about your experience with CAA, please email potential submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
21. Amazon Smiles on College of Adaptive Arts: If you are doing online shopping at Amazon, CAA has an Amazon Smiles link – if your order through this link, a percentage of sales will go to CAA: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/27-0342896
22. Move the CAA Mountain through Social Media:
Facebook Presence: 8 Schools, Library, Walking Team & Student Council Hyperlinks:
College of Adaptive Arts School of Dance
College of Adaptive Arts School of Art
College of Adaptive Arts School of TV/Film
College of Adaptive Arts School of Music
College of Adaptive Arts School of Theatre
College of Adaptive Arts School of Communications
College of Adaptive Arts School of Health & Wellness
College of Adaptive Arts School of Science & Technology
College of Adaptive Arts Library
College of Adaptive Arts Walking Team
College of Adaptive Arts Student Council
23. Latest CAA Flyers for Reference/Downloading:
CAA Fall Quarter Schedule
CAA Fall Course Catalog
CAA June Newsletter
CAA 2016 Annual Report
CAA Frequently Requested Info for SARC
CAA Proclass Registration Instructions
New CAA Informational Flyer
CAA Community Performing Troupes Flyer
CAA In-kind Donation Form 2016
CAA Lunch & Learn Opportunity for Corporate Employees
CAA General Corporate Sponsor Flyer
CAA Mountain Movers Board Strategic Plan Summary 2016
Parent/Careprovider Policies Updated Jan. 2016
Parent Advosory Council Meeting Minutes June 2016
CAA Walking Club Waiver Release Form
CAA Networking Lounge Night Parent Invite
CAA Volunteer Application Form
CAA 2016 Student Scholarship Application Form
CAA Transportation Release Form
24. CAA Mission Moment: A new student to College of Adaptive Arts pulled Professor De aside this past week and said that College of Adaptive Arts is the best thing that has happened to her – before this school, she felt completely alone, and now she has a family, a warm and welcoming place to come. <3
Latest information updated in red:
- Monday, November 21 – Friday, November 25: Thanksgiving Break [NO CAA CLASSES]
- Wednesday, November 23: Christmas in the Park tree decorating, 10:30 – 11:30am, downtown San Jose
- Saturday, November 26: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Saturday, November 26: All of School of Dance Troupes including Heroes Outreach, Graduate Dance & Latizmo to Perform Christmas in the Park Performance, 6-7pm.
- Monday, November 28: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, 10-11am, Della Maggiore
- Wednesday, November 30: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, Hester Cluster
- Saturday, December 3: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Saturday, December 3: Nutcracker Dance Workshop for Families with Special Needs, 2-3pm & 4-5pm
- Sunday, December 4: Nutcracker Dance Workshop for Families with Special Needs, 2-3pm & 4-5pm, Email Janet Heathcote for details, email@example.com
- Monday, December 5: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, 9 – 10am, Della Maggiore
- Wednesday, December 7: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, Hester Cluster
- Thursday December 8: Graduate Dance Clinic & Theatre Dance Recital, 6 – 7:30pm, culminating night of Theatre Stage Class
- Friday, December 9: Last Day of Fall Quarter
- Saturday, December 10: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Saturday, December 10: CAA Graduation & Holiday Concert Choir, Hammer Theatre Center in downtown San Jose, 2-4pm Keynote Speaker: San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo Hot chocolate/cookie reception immediately following.
- Saturday, December 10 [Postponed to Tuesday, December 13, 7:30 – 8:30pm]: Quarterly Parent Advisory Council Meeting, 10:30 – 12noon, CAA Site – All parents/care-providers welcomed & encouraged to give input/feedback/guidance.
- Monday, December 12: Professional Theatre Audition Workshop, 12-4pm, CAA Site
- Monday, December 13: Professional Theatre Audition Workshop, Day 2, City Lights Theatre Company, 12-4pm
- Tuesday, December 13: Quarterly Parent Advisory Council Meeting, 7:30 – 8:30pm, CAA Site – All parents/care-providers welcomed & encouraged to give input/feedback/guidance.
- Wednesday, December 14: Community Performance for Heroes Outreach Troupe & Children’s Music Sing Along Troupe, 10:45 & 11:45am, Chandler Tripp Special Needs Preschool.
- Friday, December 16: Christmas in the Park Performance, 5pm, Cesar Chavez Plaza, downtown San Jose.
- Saturday, December 17, 4-7pm, Winter Ball at the YMCA on the Alameda, Free & Open to All
- Saturday, December 17: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- CAA Graduation Ceremony/Concert Choir Recital, Trinity Cathedral Church, 2-5pm
- Monday, December 19: Nutcracker Performance by Graduate Dance Clinic at Brookdale Senior Living, 1-2pm
- Saturday, December 24: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Monday, January 9: Start of Winter Quarter, 2017
- Monday, January 16: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day – No CAA Classes
- Saturday, January 21: [NEW DATE] CAA Student Council Team-Building Session, 11 – 2pm, History Park San Jose, detailed information forthcoming
- Friday, January 27, Networking Lounge Night: Western Dance Night BBQ, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Saturday, February 11: CAA School of Communications Showcase Night, 7-9pm, Possibly Hammer Theatre or other Venue in Community
- Monday, February 13 – Friday, February 17: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Saturday, February 18: CAA Latizmo Troupe has been invited to come and perform at a Dance-a-Thon at Stanford – more detailed information forthcoming
- Friday, Febuary 24: Networking Lounge Night: Valentine Italian Food Night, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Friday, March 17: Last Day of Winter Quarter
- Friday, March 31: Networking Lounge Night: Pirate Movie Night Healthy Sandwiches, 7:15 – 9pm, CAA Site
- Saturday, April 1 [NEW DATE]: CAA 2nd Annual Staff Showcase, 7:30pm, Hammer Theatre Center in downtown San Jose
- Monday, April 3: First Day of Spring Quarter, 2017
- Saturday, April 15, 2-6pm, Cubberly Theatre, Palo Alto: Autism Society Dance-A-Thon for Autism: CAA School of Dance has been selected as one of the beneficiaries of the event – Thank you Autism Society!! 🙂
- Sunday, April 23: 9th Annual Celebrating Differing Abilities Film Festival, 2-5pm, Bluelight Cinemas, Cupertino
- Friday, April 28: Networking Lounge Night: Wii Tournament Appetizers, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, May 8 – Friday, May 12: Mid Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Friday, May 12: CAA 1st Annual “Moving the Mountain” Breakfast, Scott’s Seafood, 8-9:30am
- Friday, May 18: Networking Lounge Night: Movie Night Fingerfood, 7:15 – 9pm, CAA Site
- Friday, June 9: Last Day of Spring Quarter
- Monday, Jun 12 – Wednesday, June 14, 1-4:30pm: Tentative Tech Week for Summer Musical, Bye Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School
- Thursday, June 15: Musical Theatre Production, Bye-Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School (tentative schedule)
- Friday, June 16: 2nd Night of Musical Theatre Production, Bye-Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School, 7:30pm (tentative schedule)
- Friday, June 30: Networking Lounge Niht: CAA’s 7th Birthday & Burgers, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, July 10: First Day of Summer Quarter
- Friday, July 28: Networking Lounge Night: Hawaiian Night Picnic, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, August 14 – Friday, August 18: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Friday, August 25: Networking Lounge Night: CAA Summer Formal & Healthy Snacks, 7:15 – 9pm, CAA Site
- Friday, September 15: Last Day of Summer Quarter
- Friday, September 29: Networking Lounge Night: Rock and Roll Night American, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, October 2: First Day of Fall Quarter
- Friday, October 27: Networking Lounge Night: Halloween Bash/ Spooky Food, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, October 30 – Friday, November 3: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes
- Friday, November 17: Networking Lounge Night: Vegas Night Italian & Food, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, November 20 – Friday, November 24: Thanksgiving Break [NO CAA CLASSES]
- Friday, December 15: Last Day of Fall Quarter
- Friday, December 15: Networking Lounge Night: Christmas/Cookies/ Snacks, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site