Inter-Quarter Break [NO CAA CLASSES]
December 12 to January 8
Happy Holidays from CAA 🙂
We Are Different. We Are Able.
We Are CAA – We are Learning, Performing, Creating, Contributing
1. On behalf of the entire College of Adaptive Arts Mountain Movers Family, we extend to you a wonderful holiday season full of happiness, joy and goodwill. We thank you for believing in this innovative model of equitable collegiate education for adults with differing abilities to become Successful Contributing Citizens.
2. Please enjoy the online December Newsletter from College of Adaptive Arts.
3. If you or someone you know would like to make a tax donation before the year-end, College of Adaptive Arts is a 501c3 charitable organization. Our small and mighty College keeps growing because of the meaningful investments of local community leaders and international donors alike. All funds toward building this educational model to allow adults with special eneds to realize their full potential and become successful contributing citizens.
4. Here are the CAA Parent Advisory Council Minutes from the meeting on December 12, 2016. A true and sincere thanks to all parents and careproviders for their guidance and input.
5. Updated Parent/Guardian/CareProvider Policies are now available for review & signature. A live signature needs to be returned by the 2nd week of the Winter Quarter.
6. CAA has a new telephone number/phone system. Please update your contact to CAA’s new number: 408-538-3809. This number will now serve as the attendance/absence line number as well as contacting CAA for all requests and information.
7. We have a new Volunteer Coordinator, Sharon Lea, who is going to help us grow our onboarding and training process for our ever-growing number of volunteers. Please reach out to Sharon if you have input for the volunteer training process at firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is the College of Adaptive Arts Volunteer Application.
8. A generous corporate donor has donated 5 San Jose Barricudas Hockey tickets for College of Adaptive Arts students and their family members for January 14 game at 1:30pm & the February 12 game at 5pm. Please email DeAnna at info@collegeofadaprive arts.org if you are interested in securing tickets.
9. Current Student Registration Period is through Sunday, December 25. Please secure your registration of your selection of classes for the Winter Quarter 2017 Course schedule; Open registration for new students to College of Adaptive Arts begins Monday, December 26. Winter Quarter begins Monday, January 9th. Here is the Winter Quarter 2017 Class Schedule.
10. San Jose Mercury News Wishbook Story is now live on the College of Adaptive Arts: http://wishbook.mercurynews.com/2016/arts. Please consider sending a heartfelt thank you letter to Karen D’Souza and Dan Honda for exquistely capturing the essence of our small and growing college: San Jose Mercury News, 4 N. 2nd St. #800, San Jose, CA 95113.
11. College of Adaptive Arts Marketing Video is Now Live on our website: A true and sincere thanks to Mountain Mover board member Shar Yorgey for spearheading this new video. <3
12. CAA 2017 quarter Schedule is now available to give to service coordinator at the San Andreas Regional Center.
13. New Distance Learning Option: If you are a current or former student, and would like to try out a distance learning class, Skyping into class from the convenience of your home, please email DeAnna Pursai at email@example.com for this coming Winter session beginning January 9, 2017. This opportunity for distance learning is possible thanks to a wonderful grant from the Adobe Foundation.
14. CAA van transportation may be available based on driver’s availability and if the student lives within the city limits of San Jose. $10 one-way; $20 round trip. Text or email DeAnna Pursai to make arrangements – firstname.lastname@example.org or cell phone: 408-394-6816 – texting preferred.
15. New Updates from School of Communications Director, Danie Weaver:
1. Thank you to all the families who participated in Toiletries drive and sock, drive. We could donate at least 50 hygiene kits, and over 300 pairs of socks. Student council donated said items to the Lifemoves Villa in downtown San Jose. This place caters to helping families and single women who are homeless.
2. Changes to the structure for Lounge Nights 2017.
a. We will be changing to light snack, unless otherwise specified. Please bring veggie trays, or an bite size appetizer, or fruit trays, or a bite size dessert. Also make sure your student eats dinner before attending.
b. Time changes: 7:15-8:45pm with food put out till 8pm. Students will need to be picked up by 9:00pm
c We will start serving food at 7:20pm.
d. Entry fee is $5.00 or a new pair of socks to donate to the homeless
3 Lounge Night’s always needs volunteers. Lounge Nights are always the last Friday of the month, unless otherwise specified. We always need people to help set up, and clean up, crowd control, help with activities. If you would like to volunteer for multiple lounge nights please let Danie Weaver know.
16. In Case of an Emergency: CAA will be trying out our new safety communication portal called One Call Now, whereby you will receive a text/email/phone call in case of an emergency. During the first week of class, please make sure that your emergency contact information is up-to-date with the front desk. In case of an emergency where the cell phone coverage may be down, here are 3 contacts to reach out to:
– Bev Prosser (Danie’s mother): 408-323-4951 – In southern CA
– CiCi Carlson (Pam’s mother): 408-892-2538 – In Arizona
– Jill Ellenberger (De’s mother): 260-824-3409 land line; 260-273-2480 – cell; In Indiana, CAA site.
17. Seeking Community Venues to Perform: We are also seeking new community venues to take our multiple theatre troupes out to perform and contribute their artistic creations to the community. We are seeking public schools, private schools, corporate lunch & learn meetings, day programs,and senior living centers. Please email DeAnna at email@example.com for any leads you have. Our students are most “in their element” when they are connecting in the community and contributing their love of the arts, health, and wellness.
18. Updated Donation items – Always Sincerely Appreciated; Printer paper, pens dry erase markers, batteries all sizes, lined paper, pencils, tissues, paper pltes, cleaning wipes, plastic utensils.
19. Blog Submissions Requested: If you as a parent/careprovider are interested in submitting a blog piece about your experience with CAA, please email potential submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
20. Amazon Smiles on College of Adaptive Arts: If you are doing online shopping at Amazon, CAA has an Amazon Smiles link – if your order through this link, a percentage of sales will go to CAA: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/27-0342896
21. Movin’ the CAA Mountain through Social Media:
Facebook Presence: 8 Schools, Library, Walking Team & Student Council Hyperlinks:
College of Adaptive Arts School of Dance
College of Adaptive Arts School of Art
College of Adaptive Arts School of TV/Film
College of Adaptive Arts School of Music
College of Adaptive Arts School of Theatre
College of Adaptive Arts School of Communications
College of Adaptive Arts School of Health & Wellness
College of Adaptive Arts School of Science & Technology
College of Adaptive Arts Library
College of Adaptive Arts Walking Team
College of Adaptive Arts Student Council
21. Latest CAA Flyers for Reference/Downloading:
CAA Winter Quarter Schedule
CAA Parent Guardian, CareProvider Policies – Updated December 2016
2017 CAA Quarter Dates
CAA December Newsletter
CAA December 2016 Parent Advisory Council Minutes
CAA 2016 Annual Report
CAA Frequently Requested Info for SARC
CAA Proclass Registration Instructions
New CAA Informational Flyer
CAA Community Performing Troupes Flyer
CAA In-kind Donation Form 2016
CAA Lunch & Learn Opportunity for Corporate Employees
CAA General Corporate Sponsor Flyer
CAA Mountain Movers Board Strategic Plan Summary 2016
CAA Walking Club Waiver Release Form
CAA Networking Lounge Night Parent Invite
CAA Volunteer Application Form
CAA 2016 Student Scholarship Application Form
CAA Transportation Release Form
22. CAA Mission Moment: One audience member who was watching the Christmas in the Park performance commented, “What a cool College – it gives adults so much opportunities and something to look forward to!”
Latest information updated in red:
- Saturday, December 24: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Monday, January 9: Start of Winter Quarter, 2017
- Monday, January 16: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day – No CAA Classes
- Saturday, January 21: [NEW DATE] CAA Student Council Team-Building Session, 11 – 2pm, History Park San Jose, detailed information forthcoming
- Friday, January 27, Networking Lounge Night: Western Dance Night BBQ, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Saturday, February 11: CAA School of Communications Showcase Night, 7-9pm, Possibly Hammer Theatre or other Venue in Community
- Monday, February 13 – Friday, February 17: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Saturday, February 18: CAA Latizmo Troupe has been invited to come and perform at a Dance-a-Thon at Stanford – more detailed information forthcoming
- Friday, Febuary 24: Networking Lounge Night: Valentine Italian Food Night, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Friday, March 17: Last Day of Winter Quarter
- Friday, March 31: Networking Lounge Night: Pirate Movie Night Healthy Sandwiches, 7:15 – 9pm, CAA Site
- Friday, March 31: Parent Advisory Council Meeting, 7:30 – 8:30pm, adjacent CAA site – next door at the CHP conference room – during Networking Lounge Night.
- Saturday, April 1 [NEW DATE]: CAA 2nd Annual Staff Showcase, 7:30pm, Hammer Theatre Center in downtown San Jose
- Monday, April 3: First Day of Spring Quarter, 2017
- Saturday, April 15, 2-6pm, Cubberly Theatre, Palo Alto: Autism Society Dance-A-Thon for Autism: CAA School of Dance has been selected as one of the beneficiaries of the event – Thank you Autism Society!! 🙂
- Sunday, April 23: sjDANCEco Festival, Santana Row, 10am. Get ready School of Dance performers!!! 🙂
- Sunday, April 23: 9th Annual Celebrating Differing Abilities Film Festival, 2-5pm, Bluelight Cinemas, Cupertino
- Friday, April 28: Networking Lounge Night: Wii Tournament Appetizers, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, May 8 – Friday, May 12: Mid Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Wednesday, May 10 – 7 – 8pm, CAA Spring Open House – meet the professors; take a tour of the College
- Friday, May 12: CAA Giving Breakfast, Scott’s Seafood, 7:45 – 9:15am
- Friday, May 18: Networking Lounge Night: Movie Night Fingerfood, 7:15 – 9pm, CAA Site
- Friday, June 9: Last Day of Spring Quarter
- Monday, Jun 12 – Wednesday, June 14, 1-4:30pm: Tentative Tech Week for Summer Musical, Bye Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School
- Thursday, June 15: Musical Theatre Production, Bye-Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School (tentative schedule)
- Friday, June 16: 2nd Night of Musical Theatre Production, Bye-Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School, 7:30pm (tentative schedule)
- Friday, June 30: Networking Lounge Niht: CAA’s 7th Birthday & Burgers, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, July 10: First Day of Summer Quarter
- Friday, July 28: Networking Lounge Night: Hawaiian Night Picnic, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, August 14 – Friday, August 18: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Friday, August 25: Networking Lounge Night: CAA Summer Formal & Healthy Snacks, 7:15 – 9pm, CAA Site
- Friday, September 15: Last Day of Summer Quarter
- Friday, September 29: Networking Lounge Night: Rock and Roll Night American, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, October 2: First Day of Fall Quarter
- Friday, October 27: Networking Lounge Night: Halloween Bash/ Spooky Food, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, October 30 – Friday, November 3: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes
- Friday, November 17: Networking Lounge Night: Vegas Night Italian & Food, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, November 20 – Friday, November 24: Thanksgiving Break [NO CAA CLASSES]
- Friday, December 15: Last Day of Fall Quarter
- Friday, December 15: Networking Lounge Night: Christmas/Cookies/ Snacks, 7:15 – 8:45pm, CAA Site