November 28 - December 2: Week 8/9
We Are Different. We Are Able.
We Are CAA - We are Learning, Performing, Creating, Contributing
1. Register for free tickets to College of Adaptive Arts' Annual Graduation Ceremony and Holiday Concert Choir on Saturday, December 10 at the Hammer Theatre: Keynote Speaker: San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo, 2-4pm followed by a hot cocoa reception in the lobby of the Hammer Theatre. :)
3. Last Day of Spanish Class: On Monday, December 5, the Spanish class students will be meeting at Casa Vicky restaurant, 792 E. Julian St., San Jose, 95112 to order a late lunch/afternoon snack in Spanish! Cost: $8/student. See DeAnna if transportation is neeeded.
4. San Jose Mercury News Wishbook Story is now live on the College of Adaptive Arts: http://wishbook.mercurynews.com/2016/arts. Please consider sending a heartfelt thank you letter to Karen D'Souza and Dan Honda for exquistely capturing the essence of our small and growing college: San Jose Mercury News, 4 N. 2nd St. #800, San Jose, CA 95113.
5. College of Adaptive Arts Marketing Video is Now Live on our website: A true and sincere thanks to Mountain Mover board member Shar Yorgey for spearheading this new video. <3
6. 2017 Quarter Date Schedule is now Available to give to service Coordinator at the San Andreas Regional Center. The Winter Quarter Schedule of Classes will be available shortly as well as information regarding current student registration window for the Winter Quarter.
7. Fall Tuition is Now Due: If paying on a payment plan, or if your student has taken more classes over the approved number from SARC, tuition is now due. Please look for an updated invoice from DeAnna this week. We'd like to have all past balances paid before Winter Quarter registration begins.
9. Autism Society of San Francisco Bay Area is hosting a Dance-a-Thon next Saturday, April 15, and CAA School of Dance has been named one of its beneficiaries - A sincere a true thanks to the awesome community partners doing such inspiring work in the community!!: http://www.sfautismsociety.org/dance-a-thon.html
10. Winter Ball Formal hosted by the YMCA on Saturday, December 17: Here's the Flyer for Circulation/Invitations:)
Date: Saturday, December 17 Time: 4:00-7:00pm
Location: Central YMCA, Small Gym
What to wear: Formal dresses or suits
What to expect: A fun night of dancing with a DJ, photo booth, and light snacks
Additional information: All who attend event will need to sign an event waiver at the door
More information and a flyer coming soon.
12. Congratulations to All 2016 College of Adaptive Arts Graduates!!
Undergraduate: Oliver Motiee, Ryan Brown Olson, Rachel Henderson, Kelsey Alley
Graduate Studies: Nathalie Montes De Oca. Jeana Marie Pizzo Maggio, Said Padellan, Tim Anderson, Alyssa Sanchez
Post Graduate Studies and Validictorian:
13. The Honorable San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo will be the Keynote Speaker at the College of Adaptive Arts Graduation Ceremony/Holiday Concert Choir, Saturday, December 10, 2-5pm, Hammer Theatre in downtown San Jose. Please send a thank you note to our wonderful mayor thanking him for his steadfast support in believing in this new model of education for adults with special needs.
14. New Updates from School of Communications Director, Danie Weaver:
--NEW DATE: January 21 Team Building event at History Park from 11-2. Students must be accompanied by a caregiver. All Students council members past and present are invited to join us. More Details to follow.
--Communication Students: We are hosting a Showcase event on February 11, Any Student who is currently taking a communication class this quarter. The communication classes are: Reading Partner, Poetry, Spanish and Cultural Studies, Reading and Writing Lab, Sign Language, Speaking With Confidence, Student Council Leadership. Any current students who would like to share something please Danie Weaver know, so she can work with them. All showcase piece just needs to be approved by Danie. There will also be class demonstrations as well.
15. In Case of an Emergency: CAA will be trying out our new safety communication portal called One Call Now, whereby you will receive a text/email/phone call in case of an emergency. During the first week of class, please make sure that your emergency contact information is up-to-date with the front desk. In case of an emergency where the cell phone coverage may be down, here are 3 contacts to reach out to:
- Bev Prosser (Danie's mother): 408-323-4951 - In southern CA
- CiCi Carlson (Pam's mother): 408-892-2538 - In Arizona
- Jill Ellenberger (De's mother): 260-824-3409 land line; 260-273-2480 - cell; In Indiana, CAA site.
17. Updated Donation items - Always Sincerely Appreciated; Printer paper, pens dry erase markers, batteries all sizes, lined paper, pencils, tissues, paper pltes, cleaning wipes, plastic utensils.
19. Amazon Smiles on College of Adaptive Arts: If you are doing online shopping at Amazon, CAA has an Amazon Smiles link - if your order through this link, a percentage of sales will go to CAA: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/27-0342896
20. Move the CAA Mountain through Social Media:
Facebook Presence: 8 Schools, Library, Walking Team & Student Council Hyperlinks:
College of Adaptive Arts School of Dance
College of Adaptive Arts School of Art
College of Adaptive Arts School of TV/Film
College of Adaptive Arts School of Music
College of Adaptive Arts School of Theatre
College of Adaptive Arts School of Communications
College of Adaptive Arts School of Health & Wellness
College of Adaptive Arts School of Science & Technology
College of Adaptive Arts Library
College of Adaptive Arts Walking Team
College of Adaptive Arts Student Council
21. Latest CAA Flyers for Reference/Downloading:
CAA Fall Quarter Schedule
CAA Fall Course Catalog
CAA June Newsletter
CAA 2016 Annual Report
CAA Frequently Requested Info for SARC
CAA Proclass Registration Instructions
New CAA Informational Flyer
CAA Community Performing Troupes Flyer
CAA In-kind Donation Form 2016
CAA Lunch & Learn Opportunity for Corporate Employees
CAA General Corporate Sponsor Flyer
CAA Mountain Movers Board Strategic Plan Summary 2016
Parent/Careprovider Policies Updated Jan. 2016
Parent Advosory Council Meeting Minutes June 2016
CAA Walking Club Waiver Release Form
CAA Networking Lounge Night Parent Invite
CAA Volunteer Application Form
CAA 2016 Student Scholarship Application Form
CAA Transportation Release Form
22. CAA Mission Moment: The College of Adaptive Arts School of Dance dancers certainly Showcased Ability and Transformed Perception through their exquisite performances Saturday evening at Christmas in the Park. As of the time of this email, CAA 2016 Valedictorian and Premier Dancer Renee's dance has 684 views. If you could share her performance on social media, we'd be forever grateful in helping to promote authentic ability in our CAA Student Body.
Latest information updated in red:
- Monday, November 28: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, 10-11am, Della Maggiore
- Wednesday, November 30: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, Hester Cluster
- Saturday, December 3: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Saturday, December 3: Nutcracker Dance Workshop for Families with Special Needs, 2-3pm & 4-5pm
- Monday, December 5: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, 9 - 10am, Della Maggiore
- Wednesday, December 7: Community Performance, Heroes Outreach Dance Troupe & Cheer Squad, Hester Cluster
- Thursday December 8: Graduate Dance Clinic & Theatre Dance Recital, 6 - 7:30pm, culminating night of Theatre Stage Class
- Friday, December 9: Last Day of Fall Quarter
- Saturday, December 10: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Saturday, December 10: CAA Graduation & Holiday Concert Choir, Hammer Theatre Center in downtown San Jose, 2-4pm Keynote Speaker: San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo Hot chocolate/cookie reception immediately following.
- Monday, December 12: New Date/Time: Quarterly Parent Advisory Council Meeting, 6:30 - 8:00pm, CAA Site - We need everyone's input as we continue to grow and reach out for new professors/staff to teach new topics. Please come and learn as well about our Strategic Plan to find a permanent home on a campus of higher education.
- Monday, December 12: Professional Theatre Audition Workshop, 12-4pm, CAA Site
- Monday, December 13: Professional Theatre Audition Workshop, Day 2, City Lights Theatre Company, 12-4pm
- Tuesday, December 13: [Reschuled for Monday the 12th] Quarterly Parent Advisory Council Meeting,
- Wednesday, December 14: Community Performance for Heroes Outreach Troupe & Children's Music Sing Along Troupe, 10:45 & 11:45am, Chandler Tripp Special Needs Preschool.
- Friday, December 16: Christmas in the Park Performance, 5pm, Cesar Chavez Plaza, downtown San Jose. including School of Dance: Cheer Squad, Graduate Dance, & Latizmo ;)
- Saturday, December 17, 4-7pm, Winter Ball at the YMCA on the Alameda, Free & Open to All
- Saturday, December 17: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- CAA Graduation Ceremony/Concert Choir Recital, Trinity Cathedral Church, 2-5pm
- Monday, December 19: Nutcracker Performance by Graduate Dance Clinic at Brookdale Senior Living, 1-2pm
- Saturday, December 24: CAA Walking Club, Los Gatos, 8:30am
- Monday, January 9: Start of Winter Quarter, 2017
- Monday, January 16: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No CAA Classes
- Saturday, January 21: [NEW DATE] CAA Student Council Team-Building Session, 11 - 2pm, History Park San Jose, detailed information forthcoming
- Friday, January 27, Networking Lounge Night: Western Dance Night BBQ, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Saturday, February 11: CAA School of Communications Showcase Night, 7-9pm, Possibly Hammer Theatre or other Venue in Community
- Monday, February 13 - Friday, February 17: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Saturday, February 18: CAA Latizmo Troupe has been invited to come and perform at a Dance-a-Thon at Stanford - more detailed information forthcoming
- Friday, Febuary 24: Networking Lounge Night: Valentine Italian Food Night, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Friday, March 17: Last Day of Winter Quarter
- Friday, March 31: Networking Lounge Night: Pirate Movie Night Healthy Sandwiches, 7:15 - 9pm, CAA Site
- Saturday, April 1 [NEW DATE]: CAA 2nd Annual Staff Showcase, 7:30pm, Hammer Theatre Center in downtown San Jose
- Monday, April 3: First Day of Spring Quarter, 2017
- Saturday, April 15, 2-6pm, Cubberly Theatre, Palo Alto: Autism Society Dance-A-Thon for Autism: CAA School of Dance has been selected as one of the beneficiaries of the event - Thank you Autism Society!! :)
- Sunday, April 23: 9th Annual Celebrating Differing Abilities Film Festival, 2-5pm, Bluelight Cinemas, Cupertino
- Friday, April 28: Networking Lounge Night: Wii Tournament Appetizers, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, May 8 - Friday, May 12: Mid Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Friday, May 12: CAA 1st Annual "Moving the Mountain" Breakfast, Scott's Seafood, 8-9:30am
- Friday, May 18: Networking Lounge Night: Movie Night Fingerfood, 7:15 - 9pm, CAA Site
- Friday, June 9: Last Day of Spring Quarter
- Monday, Jun 12 - Wednesday, June 14, 1-4:30pm: Tentative Tech Week for Summer Musical, Bye Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School
- Thursday, June 15: Musical Theatre Production, Bye-Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School (tentative schedule)
- Friday, June 16: 2nd Night of Musical Theatre Production, Bye-Bye Birdie, Pioneer High School, 7:30pm (tentative schedule)
- Friday, June 30: Networking Lounge Niht: CAA's 7th Birthday & Burgers, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, July 10: First Day of Summer Quarter
- Friday, July 28: Networking Lounge Night: Hawaiian Night Picnic, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, August 14 - Friday, August 18: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes]
- Friday, August 25: Networking Lounge Night: CAA Summer Formal & Healthy Snacks, 7:15 - 9pm, CAA Site
- Friday, September 15: Last Day of Summer Quarter
- Friday, September 29: Networking Lounge Night: Rock and Roll Night American, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, October 2: First Day of Fall Quarter
- Friday, October 27: Networking Lounge Night: Halloween Bash/ Spooky Food, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, October 30 - Friday, November 3: Mid-Quarter Break [No CAA Classes
- Friday, November 17: Networking Lounge Night: Vegas Night Italian & Food, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site
- Monday, November 20 - Friday, November 24: Thanksgiving Break [NO CAA CLASSES]
- Friday, December 15: Last Day of Fall Quarter
- Friday, December 15: Networking Lounge Night: Christmas/Cookies/ Snacks, 7:15 - 8:45pm, CAA Site